I received a copyright infringement notice. Now what?

The goal of ArtistDefense is to resolve copyright infringements quickly, fairly and without resorting to the courts. Our compliance officers have years of experience in copyright claims resolution and are supported by in-house legal counsel.

If you’re visiting this site because you received a copyright infringement notice from us, contact the Copyright Compliance Officer on your letter to discuss next steps. Before that, you can refer to our Frequently Asked Questions and our Copyrights & Wrongs for information about copyright, including fair use, public domain, DMCA takedown notices and more.

In short, the use of copyrighted images requires a license covering any use, whether or not you knew the image was a copyright-protected work. Payment of a retroactive fee is required and can be arranged with your compliance officer. Refer to our current fee schedule for more information.

For your protection and assurance of a final resolution, claim settlements with releases are recorded in writing, signed by both you and an officer of ArtistDefense. If we’re unable to resolve claims through our internal personnel, ArtistDefense engages external legal counsel in the USA and Canada who specialize in copyright claims resolution.

Do I need to talk to a lawyer?

We’re providing information on this website as an educational resource, but it doesn’t qualify as legal advice. We highly recommend you speak with a qualified lawyer if you have legal questions about the letter you got from us or about copyright in general. However, you are not required to hire a lawyer in order to resolve a claim with one of our Copyright Compliance Officers.

What should I do now?

Please contact us either personally or through your legal representative. ArtistDefense is always willing to work with you to resolve this matter in a fair and reasonable manner. Although our client will litigate this copyright infringement if necessary, that will only happen if we have exhausted all efforts in trying to resolve this matter with you.